Thursday 24 March 2011

Hip flexor injury

Feeling rather fed up with a hip flexor injury I got whilst doing some speedwork during a training run.
Heres what I have found out.
I think the muscle I have strained is the illiacus, the red one on the diagram.
Im a little stuck as to what to do to help this injury. Advise as always is rest which is sensible I know. But I have quite a few events booked this year and want to ensure I am fit for these.I am so frustrated that I cant run so plan to try a swim today to keep my fitness up. The first event is this Sunday. My first cycling sportive, the Cheshire cat. Its a 45 miler and I was very much looking forward to it. I havent tried my bike this week but will give it a shot a day or so before the race to see how it feels. Any twinges at all and i'm gonna be out i'm afraid. I will have to let this one heal properly or I could put myself out for months. I had this injury before a few years ago in the other hip, I got it doing a 6 mile run on a tread mill and have pretty much avoided them since. It took ages to heal and I dont want this one too !
I have been given stretching exercises to do and have been advised to use ice on it every 2 hours for 20 mins.Apparently if you are flexible(which I am) you are more prone to this injury and sprinting ie,a sprint finish in a race,is what's likely to cause it.
Although I have followed all advice I havent seen an improvement yet :-(

2 comments:

  1. Be patient restarting your training - that's the best way to ensure you're fit for as many events as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, feeling a bit better today dare I say !

    ReplyDelete