Friday 23 September 2011

First ever triathlon


I completed my first ever triathlon, Esendex last minute tri in Southwell Notts, on Sunday 18th Sept and loved it ! It was a sprint distance so 400m swim 10 mile bike and 5k run.
I was worried about the swim mostly, although it was in a swimming pool I didnt think my front crawl was efficient enough to do comfortably over 16 lengths and decided to do all of it in breast stroke. My time was 10.36 mins which included the run out of the pool to the bike. Not the fastest swim ever but I was more or less as fast as the front crawlers swimming with me.
Transition 1 was a bit of a struggle . I had ordered a tri suit but it hadnt arrived in time to wear for the race so I had to wear a normal swimming costume. This meant I had to pull on Lycra cycling shorts and a top onto my wet skin. I got a bit stuck and it wasted time (will be better with my new tri suit next time) My time in T1 was 2.29
I was looking forward to the bike although I realised how much I had neglected my training. The route was quite hilly and road surface was bumpy too. My legs were really feeling it and I just couldnt go fast enough ! still I was soon at the finish and only the run to go, my strongest leg ! Bike time was 38.48
Transition 2 ran very smoothly as I only had to change shoes. Time for T2 was 50 secs so happy with that
Run was fine but the big hill you have to do twice was a bit of a grueller. Time for run was 26.22
Overall happy to finish with a time of 1.19 346th overall and 9th out of 30 in my age cat.I now have a time to beat !!
I was glad to finish this event as I had trained hard for the one earlier in the year and had to pull out due to injury.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! You are now a triathlete! You didn't dare put the swimming costume picture on your post then??

    ReplyDelete